In 1857 a small stone church was built in Church Street Waverley for the Anglican congregation. It was soon found to be inadequate, and the construction of the present building commenced with the laying of its foundation stone on June 6th, 1863.

The building was consecrated on May 19th, 1864. Ten years later it was extended by 17ft. to its present size. In 1993 a gallery was added and the organ relocated.

The church was designed in the Early English Gothic style by Edmund Blackett, a prominent Victorian Architect.

The stained glass windows are some of the earliest to be made in the colony, the two in the first bay of the south wall of the nave being the earliest windows to be commissioned in New South Wales.

The Church is listed on the National Estate and the NSW State Heritage Register and extensive restoration to the fabric of the building has taken place since the 1980’s.

PAST CLERGY

There have been nine previous Rectors in the Parish:

Rev-Stanley-Mitchell

Rev Stanley Mitchell

(1857 – 1884)

Rev-Robert-McKeown

Rev Robert McKeown

(1884 – 1920)

Rev-Egerton-North-Ash

Rev Egerton North Ash

(1920 – 1927)

Rev-Frederick-Riley

Rev Frederick Riley

(1928 – 1936)

Rev-Edward-Pattison-Clarke

Rev Edward Pattison-Clarke

(1937 – 1967)

Rev-Terrance-Dicks

Rev Terence Dicks

(1967 – 2004)

Rev-Cliff-Stratton

Rev Cliff Stratton

(2006 – 2009)

New-Minister

Rev Peter Clarke

(2010 – 2014)

 

Rev Aleksander Pinter

(2015-2017)

 

On 1st January 2018, St Mary’s Waverley amalgamated with the Parish of Bondi forming the Anglican Parish of Bondi and Waverley. Our current Rector is Rev Martin Morgan.